Company: J.G. Boswell Company
Position Title:Spray Department Supervisor
Based in Southern San Joaquin Valley, J.G. Boswell Company, is engaged in the production, processing, and marketing of cotton, tomatoes, oil seeds, orchards, and cattle. Since its formation 1925, the company has been closely held and operated by the Boswell family. Throughout its history, J.G. Boswell Company has demonstrated the stewardship of all of the resources employed with sustainable best management practices.
Job Summary: Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in preparing fields and spraying operations in crop specialties such as cotton, safflower, alfalfa, wheat, and tomatoes by performing the following duties.
Essential Functions & Duties:
- Confers with district manager and/or agronomist to evaluate soil and weather conditions and to develop plans and procedures.
- Inspects fields, observes growing plants and harvested crop and confers with district manager and/or agronomist to determine work requirements for spraying according to time of year and condition of soil, plants, and crops.
- Determines number and kind of workers needed to perform required work and schedules activities.
- Inspects work performed, observes instrument and gauge readings, ascertains condition of crop, and performs related duties to verify worker adherence to instructions.
- Trains workers in work procedures, safety policies, and use of machinery and tools.
- Supervises the operation of necessary farm machinery.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of work crew.
- Analyzes and resolves work problems or assists workers in solving work problems.
- Maintains time and production records.
- Performs activities of workers supervised.
- Reports to work in a timely fashion ready, willing, and able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises 5 – 20 non-supervisory employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Supervisors play a crucial role within their department by conducting in-field safety training and are responsible for enforcing the safety rules of the J. G. Boswell Company at all times.
Important Note: The J. G. Boswell Company has long been a leader in providing excellent working conditions and constantly strives to maintain this status. You, as a Spray Supervisor, are the Company to your employees and with that responsibility you are expected to be available and listen to them, explain your decisions, and be sure you are understood. Above all, be fair, consistent and respectful when carrying out your responsibilities.
Education and/or Experience: One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must have inventory management experience
Certifications/Licenses: Valid current California Drivers’ license, which meets both our insurance company guidelines and J. G. Boswell Company’s Vehicle Use Policy.
Must have their PCA or QAL
Physical Demands: The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, twist their neck, and use their hands for simple grasping of objects.
The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms above shoulder level; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. They must also be able to bend their neck and at the waist up to 5 hours per day.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or carry up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Salary Range: $70,000 – $110,000
FLSA Status: Exempt
Duties, Qualifications, & Requirements: