JOB DESCRIPTION: Responsible for monitoring insect pressures, plant and soil development, and making appropriate recommendations to handle/oversee chemical applications, and take corrective actions. Conducts experiments or investigations in field crops to develop new methods of growing crops to secure more efficient production, higher yield, and improved quality by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Plans, reports, and carries out varietal evaluations to develop and improve field crops such as cotton, safflower, seed alfalfa, wheat, and various vegetable crops.
• Utilizes G.I.S. and G.P.S. technology to record and analyze data.
• Supervises, evaluates, and reports on crop production techniques to discover methods of planting, cultivation, harvesting, to improve yields and quality.
• Supervises, evaluates, and reports on ways to improve soil and water characteristics to improve yield and quality.
• Supervises vendors and applicators.
• Develops methods for control of weeds, crop diseases, and insect pests.
• Implements district safety program
• Maintains district farm records.
• Reports to work in a timely fashion, ready, willing and able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of his job.
other duties as assigned.
• Manages 1 – 6 subordinate supervisors who in turn supervise a total of 1-200 employees in the Wheel Tractor, Heavy Equipment, and Irrigation. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• IMPORTANT NOTE: The J.G. Boswell Company has long been a leader in providing excellent working conditions and constantly strives to maintain this status. You, as an Agronomist, are the Company to your employees and with that responsibility you are expected to be available and listen to them, explain your decisions, and be sure you are understood. Above all, be fair, consistent and respectful when carrying out your responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• Bachelors’ Degree (B.A. or B.S.) in the Agricultural Sciences, Biological Sciences, or Pest Management.
• Possess, or be able to obtain in the near future, Pest Control Advisor and Pest Control Operator Licenses.
• Ability to read, write, and speak English is necessary.
• Spanish is a plus.
• Ability to comprehend and apply principles of modern algebra, and advanced statistical theory. Ability to work with concepts such as limits, rings, quadratic and differential equations, and proofs of theorems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS the physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.